Medicinal chemistry is a primarily chemistry-based discipline, which involves aspects of the biological, medical and pharmaceutical sciences.
The design, synthesis and evaluation of biologically active compounds are the main activities of a medicinal chemist. It also involves studies of the metabolism of such compounds and the interpretation of their mode of action on a molecular level and the evaluation of structure-activity relationships.
Medicinal Chemistry at the University of Gothenburg is subdivided into three labs. Attached to these labs are 15 people representing 4 different nationalities, including professors, post-docs, graduate students and master students. The labs are actively pursuing important research issues in the broad research field of medicinal chemistry. We are located in some of the finest research and teaching facilities with excellent equipment and infra-structure.
- Klein, M. ; Morillas, M. ; Vendrell, A. ; Brive, L. ; Gebbia, M. ; Wallace, I. M. ; Giaever, G. ; Nislow, C. ; Posas, F. ; Grøtli, M. Design, Synthesis and Characterization of a Highly Effective Inhibitor for Analog-Sensitive (as) Kinases. PLoS ONE. 2011, 6, e20789
- Tadd, A. C. ; Meinander, K. ; Luthman, K. ; Wallen, E. A. A. Synthesis of Orthogonally Protected Disulfide Bridge Mimetics. Journal of Organic Chemistry. 2011, 76, 673--675
- Andersson, H. ; Olsson, R. ; Almqvist, F. Reactions between Grignard reagents and heterocyclic N-oxides: Stereoselective synthesis of substituted pyridines, piperidines, and piperazines. Organic & Biomolecular Chemistry. 2011, 9, 337--346
- Dyrager, C. ; Wickstrom, M. ; Friden-Saxin, M. ; Friberg, A. ; Dahlen, K. ; Wallen, E. A. A. ; Gullbo, J. ; Grøtli, M. ; Luthman, K. Inhibitors and promoters of tubulin polymerization: Synthesis and biological evaluation of chalcones and related dienones as potential anticancer agents. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry. 2011, 19, 2659--2665
- Niklasson, I. B. ; Delaine, T. ; Luthman, K. ; Karlberg, A.-T. Impact of a Heteroatom in a Structure-Activity Relationship Study on Analogues of Phenyl Glycidyl Ether (PGE) from Epoxy Resin Systems. Chemical Research In Toxicology. 2011, 24, 542--548
- Dierckx, A. ; Diner, P. ; El-Sagheer, A. H. ; Kumar, J. D. ; Brown, T. ; Grøtli, M. ; Wilhelmsson, L. M. Characterization of photophysical and base-mimicking properties of a novel fluorescent adenine analogue in DNA. Nucleic Acids Research. 2011, 39, 4513--4524
- Diner, P. ; Vilg, J. V. ; Kjellen, J. ; Migdal, I. ; Andersson, T. ; Gebbia, M. ; Giaever, G. ; Nislow, C. ; Hohmann, S. ; Wysocki, R. ; Tamas, M. J. ; Grøtli, M. Design, Synthesis, and Characterization of a Highly Effective Hog1 Inhibitor: A Powerful Tool for Analyzing MAP Kinase Signaling in Yeast. Plos One. 2011, 6, e20012